How to make a complaint at EU level

Resources at EU level

Although you will usually be able to enforce your rights better in the country where you live, the European Union offers resources that may also be able to help you.

The Committee on Petitions of the European Parliament

You have the right (Article 227 TFEU) to submit a petition to the European Parliament about the application of Union law. You may submit your petition by post or online via the European Parliament’s website. You can find out more about petitions to the European Parliament on the EU citizenship and free movement website.

The European Commission

You can contact the European Commission about any measure (law, regulation or administrative action), absence of measure or practice by a country of the European Union that you think is against Union law.

The European Commission can only take up your complaint if it is about a breach of Union law by authorities in an EU country. If your complaint is about the action of a private individual or body (unless you can show that national authorities are somehow involved), you have to try to solve it at national level (courts or other ways of settling disputes). The European Commission cannot follow up matters that only involve private individuals or bodies, and that do not involve public authorities.

If you are not an expert in Union law, you may find it difficult to find out exactly which Union law you think has been breached. You can get advice quickly and informally from the Your Europe Advice service, in your own language.

The European Ombudsman

If you consider that the European Commission has not dealt with your request properly, you may contact the European Ombudsman(Articles 24 and 228 TFEU).

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Solve : *
28 ⁄ 14 =